Open Enrollment is designed to give all interested parents equal opportunity for their child to attend PCHS. During open enrollment, all applications get equal consideration regardless of date submitted. An application received at the end of open enrollment receives equal treatment to one received on the first day of open Enrollment. Open enrollment for the upcoming school is October 1st through January 31st of the previous school year. Following the close of open enrollment, if the number of applications exceeds the number of open seats, a random selection lottery determines acceptance. If the number of applications does not exceed the number of open seats, all applicants are accepted for their respective grade.
Please Note: Applications do not roll over from year to year so each applicant will need to reapply each enrollment cycle. This includes those on the wait list from the prior year.
What happens in the event of a lottery?
Lotteries are open to the public, and parents are encouraged to attend. Lotteries will be held for any grade in which the number of applications exceeds the number of openings. Names are randomly selected, and applicants are accepted based on the order in which they are selected. The lottery continues until all names are drawn. Applicants who are not accepted will be placed on a waiting list in the order their names were selected.
If accepted, you will receive an Enrollment Package. Parents must submit to the school all of the items listed below by the date specified in the letter. If these are not received by that date, your child may be removed from the school’s Accepted List.
• Enrollment Package
• Proof of Residency (see below)
• Original Birth Certificate
• Most Recent Immunization Records
Proof of Residency
Acceptable proof of residency documents must be dated and include the parent/guardian’s name. The following documents may be used:
• Copy of deed or record or most recent mortgage payment; or Copy of lease agreement; or
• A utility bill dated within the past 30 days, including: gas, water, electric, landline phone, cable, or satellite; or
• A valid North Carolina driver’s license or North Carolina photo identification card; or
• A vehicle or property tax bill (dated within the past year); or
• A bank or credit card statement with a North Carolina address (dated within the past 60 days)
Students on waiting lists continue to receive school information. It is not unusual for a small percentage of accepted students to select other options prior to the start of school. Openings created by opt-outs are filled by those on waiting lists. Do not become discouraged if your child is put on a waiting list. Openings can and do become available.